Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted (I think) from a Wegman's recipe
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 32 ounces chicken or 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup split red lentils, washed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) canunseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro (to garnish)
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a large saucepan, add the onion and saute until transparent.
- Add the garlic and ginger, sauté another 2 minutes until fragrant; lower heat and stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Add the spices and sauté for a minute more.
- Stir in the coconut milk, stock, lentils, and pumpkin puree.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 40 to 50 minutes or until lentils are tender. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Before serving, stir in the red curry paste if you are using it or adjust seasoning with black pepper. For a smoother stew, you can use an immersion blender. Garnish with fresh cilantro or thai basil, serve with crusty bread.
This was good. I will use a tablespoon of red curry paste next time, though.