Recipe by Alskann
These are delicious served with Pina Colada Sauce (I use Julesong's Piña Colada Dipping Sauce) or sweet and sour sauce. They make an excellent presentation by placing the skewers in a fresh pineapple wedge surrounded by dipping sauce and garnish. I have also made this using large shrimp and threading 2 or 3 shrimp on to the skewers.
- 4 large prawns
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
- bamboo skewer (soaked in water)
- canola oil (for frying)
- parchment paper
Tempura Batter Ingredients
- 3⁄8 cup flour
- 1⁄8 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean, peel and butterfly prawns.
- Skewer onto 10" bamboo skewers.
- Mix up tempura batter mix according to directions below.
- Lightly coat prawns with flour (this helps the batter to stick).
- Dip in tempura batter.
- Roll and crust in a blend of shredded coconut and panko(Japanese-style bread crumbs).
- Let the prawns lay carefully on a parchment sheet and freeze for one hour to allow the bonding of the breading and the proper crusting.
- Deep fry in a high-quality shortening (canola oil) until crust turns golden brown.
- Serve with a pina colada sauce or your favorite sweet and sour.
- TEMPURA BATTER MIX:.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix until well blended.
- (cooking time includes time in freezer).