Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I've been making this favourite square recipe for over 25 years.A brown sugar shortbread base with a mouth-watering, deliciously sweet coconut-pecan praline filling. These are always a hit!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- Mix together butter, sugar and flour until crumbly.
- Press evenly in the bottom of a 9"x9" baking pan.
- Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees.
- Mix filling ingredients until well blended.
- Spread over partially baked crust and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
The taste was ok but the bottom stuck badly. I greased the pan since nothing was suggested. I used sweetened flaked coconut and reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup. If I make it again, I would reduce the sugar further to 1/2 cup.
These have got to be one of the best cookies I have ever made. Thanks so much! Already a family classic around here.
These sound delicious! They are very similar to Butter Pecan Pie Squares #29912 except I like your addition of coconut. I'll try these soon.