Cook1 hr 20 mins
This is a moist and delicious pound cake that my family has been serving for special occasions for years. It's easy to make and even easier to eat! It can be topped with all kinds of goodies (whipped cream, strawberries, ice cream, etc.) to make it even better!
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream sugar and Crisco.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Add Flavoring.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternating with the milk--begin and end with the flour.
- Bake in greased and floured tube pan for 1 hour and 20 minutes. You might want to start checking on this after 1 hour - sometimes my cake is finished about then.
- When cake is almost finished, start making the glaze.
- To make the Glaze: Put all ingredients for the glaze in pot and cook over medium heat.
- Let mixture boil for 5 minutes. It will bubble so you will need to watch it carefully so it won't boil over onto your stove - trust me, you don't want that to happen.
- When removed from the oven, pour glaze over the cake while it is still in the pan and let sit at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To remove from the pan, place the cake in the oven at 250°F for 5 minutes or long enough to loosen to the sugar glaze surrounding the cake.
- The cake should slide out of the tube pan easily - if it does not, put it back into the oven for a few more minutes and then try again.