Recipe by The Giggle Box
This is a moist and delicious pound cake that my family has been serving for special occasions for years. It's easy to make and even easier to eat! It can be topped with all kinds of goodies (whipped cream, strawberries, ice cream, etc.) to make it even better!
Top Review by TGirl,RN
This is just beyond words!! The coconut flavor isn't overpowering, but oh-so-delicious. There is a simple syrup that you pour over the finished cake, and you're SUPPOSED to let it sit for 8 hours before eating it..YEAH, RIGHT!! Like THAT'S gonna happen!! The smell that comes from your oven while it's baking will have neighbors banging on your door, pretending to need to borrow a cup of sugar or an egg...and that is the same smell that makes waiting 8 stinkin' hours IMPOSSIBLE...I dipped into this little gem after an hour..that's all I could wait...and I couldn't speak for the next 24 hours..all I could do was moan "yuuum...yuuummmm...mooore...mooore...yuuuuum, yuuummm" I'm not kidding folks, this is heavenly...I took the cake over to my Mom's house yesterday, and gave some to her, my sister, my dad, aunt, cousin, and uncle--they all loved it, and the women wanted the recipe...The sugar syrup does not make the cake soggy, just adds another OOMPH of flavor and moistness that sets this pound cake miles above the rest...You've just GOT to try this...you really do...if you have the slightest fondness for coconut, you will just love this recipe... Fair warning...make sure you have no plans for the 24 hours following the making of this cake...remember, you'll be laying on the floor, and all you'll be able to say is "yum, yum, more, more, yum, yum!" Now, run straight out to the store, buy some coconut extract, and make this cake!! It is ...heck, I can't even think of a word that is appropriate!! It's beyond anything like "delicious" or "fabulous"...hey, what did Mary Poppins teach us to say when no word is appropriate? I guess this cake is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious !!
For the Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons coconut flavoring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Glaze
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white Karo
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream sugar and Crisco.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Add Flavoring.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternating with the milk--begin and end with the flour.
- Bake in greased and floured tube pan for 1 hour and 20 minutes. You might want to start checking on this after 1 hour - sometimes my cake is finished about then.
- When cake is almost finished, start making the glaze.
- To make the Glaze: Put all ingredients for the glaze in pot and cook over medium heat.
- Let mixture boil for 5 minutes. It will bubble so you will need to watch it carefully so it won't boil over onto your stove - trust me, you don't want that to happen.
- When removed from the oven, pour glaze over the cake while it is still in the pan and let sit at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To remove from the pan, place the cake in the oven at 250°F for 5 minutes or long enough to loosen to the sugar glaze surrounding the cake.
- The cake should slide out of the tube pan easily - if it does not, put it back into the oven for a few more minutes and then try again.