This is the most moist pound cake with a fabulous coconut flavor. It came from the San Antonio Junior League Cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and salt.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add extract and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
- Add milk to creamed mixture.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture.
- Fold in coconut.
- Bake in a greased and floured bundt pan for 1 hour.
- About 10 minutes before cake is done, combine sugar, extract and water in a small saucepen.
- Bring to a boil and boil one minute.
- Pour over cake immediately after removing cake from the oven.
- Let cake sit 30 minutes before removing from pan.