- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1 cup Coco Lopez (coconut cream)
- 2 cups fresh coconut
- 10 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cream, scraped vanilla, whole vanilla bean, and coconut milk in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring the cream up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer the cream for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the vanilla bean. In an electric mixer, beat the yolks. Gradually pour the hot cream into the mixer. Mix until incorporated.
- Strain the liquid into a pitcher. Fold in the fresh coconut. Place eight (3/4 cup) pot de creme cups or ramekins in a roasting pan. Fill the cups or ramekins to the rim with the custard.
- Pour water into the roasting pan 1/2 way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan loosely with foil and bake @ 300 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until set.
- Remove from the pan and let the custards cool completely. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour. Garnish with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and espresso powder.