Recipe by twissis
This is yet another recipe I haven't tried, but the name, ingredients & prep grabbed my attention. I would never have thot to combine popcorn & ice cream in a dessert, but it seemed to me that adults & kids alike would really go for this treat. Times have been estimated, but the prep & freezing time will require you to plan ahead. My source here is the Popcorn Institute. Enjoy!
- 2 quarts popped popcorn, unsalted
- 1 (4 ounce) can flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream (spumoni or butter pecan also work well)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix popped popcorn & flaked coconut in a lrg buttered bowl.
- Combine sugar, syrup, butter or margarine, water & salt in saucepan. Bring to boil over low heat, stirring till sugar dissolves. Cont cooking till syrup reaches the hard crack stage (290-295º F).
- Stir in vanilla. Pour syrup in fine stream over popcorn mixture. Stir till particles are evenly coated w/syrup.
- Turn half of popcorn mixture onto buttered 12-in pizza pan & spread in a thin layer to cover the bottom of the pan. Repeat this process w/rest of the popcorn mixture & a 2nd 12-in pizza pan. W/a sharp knife, score popcorn mixtures into 12 wedge-shaped servings. Allow both to fully cool.
- Cover 1 layer w/ice cream, top w/2nd popcorn layer so the visible scored edges are aligned & store in freezer.
- To Serve: Using a sharp knife, cut in 12 wedges using the scores as your guideline. Serve plain or w/desired fruit or sauce of choice.
- Note: Sweetened fresh fruit, defrosted frozen fruit or chocolate sauce may be used as toppings as desired.