Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Excellent bread. No butter recipe. Time doesn't include 20 min. standing time.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Mix milk, egg, and vanilla; stir well.
- Stir into flour mixture.
- Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Pour into greased 9 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325* for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool on rack.
my boyfriend is from St. Thomas. This is a traditonal Island treat. This is the closet we have gotten on 20 years to home for him. Very easy to make. Bread lasted several weeks with no refrigeration. Rahter tasty if you like coconut. I added extra vanilla, would recommend
Good flavor. A tad dry, but certainly quite nice considering there is no butter or oil. A nice light bread to enjoy for breakfast. Thanks!
this is a very good bread. nice and sweet and light. took it to my grandmother's easter dinner and there was none left for me to take home! everyone enjoyed. thanks for a great recipe.