Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Akin to Mexico's paletas, this zesty, refreshing treat will make your mouth sing. Frozen, unsweetened and grated coconut is available at most Indian and Mexican grocers. Freezing time not included in preparation time. From the Houston Chronicle.
- 2⁄3-1 cup coconut cream (you can find cans of this in the ethnic aisle at the market)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (or less for a less sweet taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pistachios, toasted and finely chopped (less to taste)
- In a large saucepan, bring the whole milk and cinnamon stick to a boil.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring often to prevent scorching, for about 45 minutes or until the milk has reduced by half.
- Remove the stick and add the coconut cream, simmering and stirring for a few minutes over low heat.
- Mix in the condensed milk, cardamom, coconut, vanilla and pistachios.
- Cool; pour the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze.