Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An easy 3-ingredient recipe for an ice cream that tastes of the tropics! Inspired by Alton Brown's Serious Vanilla Ice Cream.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons pineapple preserves
- Mix coconut milk and pineapple preserves in a bowl with a stick blender. This breaks up pineapple pieces in the preserves into a finer texture so they are not so lumpy in the final dish. You can do this in the blender if necessary, or if you like chunky bits of pineapple just melt the preserves in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Mix in the cream of coconut. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the mixture has finished churning, spoon into a container with a tight lid and put it in the freezer for at least an hour to harden before serving.
This is a great recipe, however I would recommend not adding the pineapple until you are ready to put the mix into your ice cream machine. First time I made it I used real pineapple (I prefer canned or fresh fruit over preserves, it's a fresher flavor and doesn't make the finished ice cream over the top sweet) and put it in the fridge over night and the coconut milk basically soured, I assume it was due to the acid in the pineapple. Next time I made it I put the cans of coconut milk, coconut cream & crushed pineapple in the fridge, then just quickly mixed them all together and put them into the ice cream machine. This was perfect. Wonderful ice cream for anyone who doesn't drink milk, or just loves coconut & pineapple. Husband likes me to add in some shredded coconut also (fresh or frozen, not the sweetened baking kind) as an "add in" towards the end of the chilling.
Really easy to make and delicious! The ice cream is little bit on the sweet side, but delicious nonetheless.
This is so delicious! Since going dairy free I have missed ice cream. I don't have to go without the cold and creamy dessert I crave! This is a perfect replacement. I didn't have pineapple preserves so I replaced it with apricot. I also added some sweetened shredded coconut and some coarsly chopped cashews. Yum!!!