1/3 Photos of Coconut-Pineapple Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was submitted to a Southern Living recipe contest and won Dessert of the Year. It graces the cover of the 20th anniversary edition of the SL Annual Recipes Cookbook. It's a beautiful and delicious cake. We made it for Easter last year, and the family prounounced that it will be our traditional Easter cake from that moment on. Southern U.S. region, of course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained, divided use
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces shredded coconut (for coating sides of cake)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Grease three 9" round cake pans, and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 2Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice.
- 3Remove 1/4 cup of the juice for the Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 4Reserve the pineapple for the Pineapple Filling.
- 5Beat butter at medium speed with a mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- 6Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- 7Combine 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice and 7-Up.
- 8Add flour to butter mixture alternately with juice mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- 9Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- 10Stir in extracts.
- 11Pour 1/3 of batter into each of the prepared cake pans.
- 12Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 13Remove from pans immediately; cool on wire racks.
- 14Meanwhile make Pineapple Filling.
- 15Stir together sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- 16Stir in pineapple and water.
- 17Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until very thick.
- 19When cake is cool, make Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 20Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- 21Gradually add powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough pineapple juice to make frosting a good spreading consistency, mixing well.
- 22When cake has cooled, stack cake layers, spreading 3/4 cup Pineapple Filling between each layer, and spreading remaining filling on top of cake, spreading to within 1/2" of edges.
- 23Spread Cream Cheese Frosting on sides of cake, and pipe a border around the top 1/2" edge, or just spread some of the frosting around the edge.
- 24Sprinkle coconut on sides and border, coating the Cream Cheese Frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut-Pineapple Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (3662 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12365.6
- Calories from Fat 4391
- Total Fat 487.9 g
- Saturated Fat 314.2 g
- Cholesterol 2127.1 mg
- Sodium 3702.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1969.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.4 g
- Sugars 1595.5 g
- Protein 82.3 g