Recipe by Johnsdeere
I found this on Jasey's Crazy Daisy Blog....glad I did. This is a terrific cake that is super moist and doesn't call for vegetable oil but, coconut milk. This stored in the fridge and frosted with the whipped cream frosting lasted a whole week without the frosting separating or becoming soggy. At no point was this a soggy cake. Definately give this one a try!!
- 1 cake mix, light colored super moise or 1 pudding, included white, yellow or 1 golden butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk, not cream of coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut, flaked
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved for glaze
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups less depending on pienapple juice
- reserved pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, Use 1 teaspoon if you like more
- coconut, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pans. If using two 9 inch cicle pans grease them, add a layer of traced parchment paper, then grease and flour. If using a 9x13 inch pan, spray the bottom with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, and coconut milk with mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping occasionally. Stir in coconut and pineapple. Pour into pans.
- Bake as directed per pan size on box. Don't overbake.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- While cake is cooling add enough milk to reserved pineapple juice to make 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine pineapple milk mixture, sugar, and 1/2 cup coconut in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute.
- Poke holes into cake using a fork, straw, or even a kabob stick.
- Carefully spoon evenly over warm cake allowing liquid to soak into holes.
- Put cake into the fridge to cool completely.
- Beat heavy whipping cream, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. (If making a layer cake, you may want to beat it just a little extra so that it sticks to the sides of the cake. You can also spread a little of this prepared cream between layers.
- Frost cake with prepared whipped cream. Cover cake with remining coconut.
- Keep and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.