Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This takes some time to toast the ingredients but it's worth it. I have a Zaar friend who loves coconut but needs to go easy on sugar. This one is for her... I think this may be easily tweaked to use artificial sweeteners instead of sugar.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sliced peaches or 1 cup bananas or 1 cup kiwi or 1 cup strawberry
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place graham cracker crumbs, pecans and coconut flakes on a cookie sheet.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Remove the crumb mixture and let cool.
- In medium bowl, melt butter in microwave, about 30 seconds depending on your microwave.
- Add crumb mixture to butter and mix together well making sure butter is well incorporated.
- Pat down into a 9" pie pan.
- Filling: Beat egg whites until frothy; add salt and vinegar, and beat until stiff.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Spread in crumb lined pie pan.
- Bake in slow oven (275 degrees) for 1 1/2 hours.
- Toast 1/2 cup coconut.
- Whip cream; fold in remaining 1/2 cup coconut, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla.
- Arrange fruit slices on cooled meringue.
- Spread with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
This was very good. I did use the sugar, but was able to have a piece with a meal. Thanks for posting this recipe. I just love coconut.