Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe always reminds me of Christmas. My ex-husbands aunt always made it at Christmas time, and this is her recipe.
- 1 (3 ounce) can flaked coconut, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Sprinkle 2 tbs coconut on a baking sheet; reserve remaining coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set toasted coconut aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, and dash of salt in a large saucepan. Add untoasted coconut, milk, and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Spoon into prepared pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/4 tsp salt at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Spread meringue over filling, sealing to the edge of the pie crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 28 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of pie. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Absolutely wonderful, & definitely something I'd make again! Loved the coconut throughout, & although I'm not usually one to make meringue for a pie, I did so this time & it was delicious! This recipe goes into my favorites file! Thanks so much for posting it! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Stars recipe tag]
So good! I almost didn`t get to taste this! It disssapeared so fast I got to scrap some for the dish! I made this for the glutin free challange ZWT 2011. Stirring together the 1/2 cup gluten-free flour, 1/2 cup gluten free almond meal, 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Cut 6 tablespoons butter into chunks and, using your fingertips, work the butter into the dry ingredients to form a coarse meal. Make a well. Break the egg into the well. Add the 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Use a fork to stir from the center, working the flour into the egg to form a soft dough. Shape into a disk and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a pie pan and press the pastry into it in an even layer. If the dough seems very sticky, put a piece of parchment paper on top and pat it out to smooth, then remove it. Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The crust didn`t work. No fault of the recipe. Thanks.
I thought that 1 1/2 cup of sugar in the pie was a little too much. So I used 1 cup but maybe I'd try with only 1/2 cup cause it's really sweet. But I'm glad I like sweet pie LOL I used butter in the pie. It's really easy to do. Thanks Breezermom for posting a yummy coconut pie. :) Made for PRMR tag game