Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1992)
Top Review by Bev
This is a wonderful coconut pie ~ however I suggest you use caution when serving! Very, very rich! A little slice goes a long way. You could easily get a good 8 slices from one 9" pie. Delicious, Ellie! Thanks for sharing your recipe : )
- 1 pie crust (your own or Pillsbury pie crust)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- shredded sweetened coconut (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- Press crust into 9-inch pie pan, trimming and crimping edges.
- Bake crust until golden (8-10 minutes or following directions on package or on pie crust recipe). Transfer to rack to cool and reduce oven temperature to 350-degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add sugar to butter and stir until heated. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture, whisking to combine.
- Stir in coconut (1 1/2 cups).
- Pour filling into prepared pie pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Cool on rack.
- Garnish with additional shredded coconut, if desired.