Prep 10 mins
Cook 11 mins
Not in a mood for a pie? Just use this as a pudding.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- In a glass measuring cup mix the first 4 ingredients.
- Microwave for 3 minutes until hot. Remove.
- In another bowl whisk eggs, now you want to temper the eggs by adding some of the hot mixture into the eggs as you whisk.
- Repeat step three again, then pour egg mixture into the first bowl. Keep whisking so the eggs do not cook.
- Return to microwave for 8 minutes, remove to whisk at 2 minute intervals.
- When done this should be a thick pudding.
- Stir in flavoring and coconut and pour into a shell.
Love this recipe! It is an old fashioned custard-like coconut pie. Just what I have been looking for.
I made this the other day, but made mini pies instead of one big one. It was very easy to make and turned out quite nice. The filling was a bit thick, and better when not fresh out of the fridge. An audio file (podcast) of the making of this pie can be found here http://www.odeo.com/audio/289477/view