Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from recipe posted on Food Network, Bobby Flay.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans, seeds scraped or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut rum
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweetened coconut
- Bring the milk, coconut milk and buttermilk to a simmer over low heat in a small saucepan. Keep warm while you prepare the caramel.
- Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook (do not stir) until it becomes a deep amber brown color. Slowly whisk in the warm milk mixture and continue whisking until smooth; add the vanilla seeds and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the sauce is reduced by half and is the consistency of a caramel sauce, about 55 minutes.
- Once the sauce is reduced, remove from the heat and whisk in the cold better, vanilla extract, salt and rum and whisk until combined. Transfer the sauce to a medium bowl and stir in the pecans and coconut. Let the frosting cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally before frosting the cake.