Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, 2 cups sugar, oil and 2 tsp coconut extract; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Spoon into a well greased 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the water, butter and remaining sugar.
- Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; add remaining extract.
- Slowly pour hot syrup over hot cake.
- Cool in pan for 4 hours before removing to serving plate.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.