Recipe by Patty Mae
These bars have two of my favorite things - coconut and pecans. The topping reminds me of the frosting for German chocolate cake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup Coco Lopez
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Crust: Put flour and powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking make the topping.
- In a mixing bowl combine the granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, Coco Lopez, melted butter, vanilla extract, and bourbon.
- Pour over the sugar mixture and stir until well blended.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans and pour over baked crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes longer.
- Cool and cut into 24 pieces.