Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A yummy tropical-tasting treat!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup canned peaches, diced (you can use fresh, if you like)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400* F.
- Grease or line muffin tins.
- Heat water, butter and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside.
- Mix milk, vanilla extract, egg and peaches.
- Set aside.
- Mix flour, coconut and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Pour peach mixture into the well of the flour mixture.
- Mix lightly.
- Pour in butter mixture.
- Mix until just combined.
- Fill greased or lined muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle top with coconut, if desired.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I won't rate these seeing as I made so many changes to "healthy them up", but I found the combination of peaches and coconut to be lovely! I used non-fat vanilla yoghurt instead of the butter, whole-wheat flour instead of the white, and low-fat dessicated coconut. I also cut the sugar to 1/3 of a cup, used weight-watchers canned peaches and added some of the juice from the can to balance out the dryness of the whole-wheat flour. Even with all these changes, they were excellent (though some people would think they weren't sweet enough). The only problem I had was that they stuck really, really badly to the paper muffin liners. I also found they tasted much better the second day. Thanks Roosie!
Lovely tasting, delicately sweet and very moist. Thank You Roosie!