2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This cake is amazing, but a lot of work. It is really worth the time. (cook time includes minimum refrigeration time and the time needed to toast the coconut!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canned cream of coconut (such as Coco LÃ³pez, You should be able to get this in the liquor section of most grocers)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 3 lbs peaches, peeled, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- 3Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- 4Whisk buttermilk and sour cream in small bowl.
- 5Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- 6(this is important for a really light cake!) Gradually beat in sugar.
- 7Beat in cream of coconut, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- 8Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture in 2 additions.
- 9Beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 10Fold into batter.
- 11Divide batter between prepared pans.
- 12Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 13Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- 14Turn cakes out onto rack; cool completely.
- 15Maintain oven temperature.
- 16Spread flaked coconut on large baking sheet.
- 17Bake until lightly toasted, stirring once, about 14 minutes.
- 19Be sure it's toasted well enough to be pretty dry!
- 20For filling: Stir preserves in small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted.
- 21Cool slightly.
- 22Toss peaches, sugar, and lemon juice in large bowl.
- 23Add preserves and toss to combine.
- 24For frosting: Beat first 3 ingredients in large bowl until peaks form.
- 25Drain peach filling of excess juices.
- 26Cut cakes horizontally in half.
- 27Place 1 cake layer, cut side up, on platter.
- 28Top with 1/3 of peach filling.
- 29Spread 1 cup frosting over filling.
- 30Repeat layering 2 more times, then top with final cake layer, cut side down.
- 31Spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- 32Cover cake completely with toasted coconut.
- 33Refrigerate*at least* 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- 34This is important, or your slices won't turn out right!
- 35Fan peach slices atop center of cake before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut-Peach Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 896.8
- Calories from Fat 495
- Total Fat 55.0 g
- Saturated Fat 37.4 g
- Cholesterol 195.4 mg
- Sodium 276.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 66.1 g
- Protein 9.8 g