Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This cake is amazing, but a lot of work. It is really worth the time. (cook time includes minimum refrigeration time and the time needed to toast the coconut!)
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canned cream of coconut (such as Coco LÃ³pez, You should be able to get this in the liquor section of most grocers)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup peach preserves
- 3 lbs peaches, peeled, cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups chilled whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons canned cream of coconut
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 peach, peeled, thinly sliced (for garnish)
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Whisk buttermilk and sour cream in small bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- (this is important for a really light cake!) Gradually beat in sugar.
- Beat in cream of coconut, egg yolks, and vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture in 2 additions.
- Beat egg whites in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into batter.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- Turn cakes out onto rack; cool completely.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Spread flaked coconut on large baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly toasted, stirring once, about 14 minutes.
- Be sure it's toasted well enough to be pretty dry!
- For filling: Stir preserves in small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted.
- Cool slightly.
- Toss peaches, sugar, and lemon juice in large bowl.
- Add preserves and toss to combine.
- For frosting: Beat first 3 ingredients in large bowl until peaks form.
- Drain peach filling of excess juices.
- Cut cakes horizontally in half.
- Place 1 cake layer, cut side up, on platter.
- Top with 1/3 of peach filling.
- Spread 1 cup frosting over filling.
- Repeat layering 2 more times, then top with final cake layer, cut side down.
- Spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Cover cake completely with toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate*at least* 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- This is important, or your slices won't turn out right!
- Fan peach slices atop center of cake before serving.