Recipe by Sascha
I used to buy this from my local Asian market before I found a recipe. It's very rich, and the rice forms a base on the bottom.
- 3 eggs, well-beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded
- 2⁄3 cup rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extract (pandan)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small squares
- cinnamon, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix eggs, sugar and salt until well-combined.
- Stir in hot milk slowly, gradually incorporating.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Add rice and pandan essence and mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and dot with cut squares of butter.
- Place dish into a deeper pan (to make a waterbath) and place into a 150C oven.
- With the dish in the oven, pour boiling water into the outer pan to create a bain marie (it should be about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the baking dish height).
- Bake at 150C for about 60-90 minutes taking care not to overcook (the middle should be set but slightly wobbly).