Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
These little babies are so good! Just enough orange and coconut flavor to balance out. They are now a regular item on my holiday baking list. Recipe from Epicurious.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar (sifted, then measured)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange peel, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake coconut on rimmed baking sheet until light golden, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and both extracts in bowl to blend well. Beat in flour, orange peel, and salt. Stir in coconut. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day. Soften dough slightly before shaping.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using 1 level tablespoon dough for each cookie, roll dough between palms of hands into balls.
- Place on prepared sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Bake until golden on bottom but pale on top, about 18 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to racks; cool 5 minutes.
- Place remaining 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar in bowl.Roll hot cookies in powdered sugar, covering completely.
- Cool cookies on rack. Roll cookies in powdered sugar again, coating generously.
- Can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight between sheets of waxed paper at room temperature.