Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
I love coconut shrimp. I came across this recipe in my newspaper one day and though to try it. It is outstanding. The hot sauce gives it the right amount of spice to go with the sweet of the coconut. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1⁄4 cup hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 lb raw large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Combine 1/2 cup coconut, banana, hot sauce, orange juice, oil and orange peel in blender; puree.
- Pour mixture into large plastic resealable bag.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Line 13x9 baking pan with foil.
- Lightly grease foil.
- Sprinkle remaining coconut onto waxed paper.
- Dip shrimp into coconut, pressing firmly on each side to coat.
- Place shrimp on baking pan.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
I used no hot sauce in the batter and served with a spicy dipping sauce.
I don't know what happen but the coconut didn't stick to the shrimps. It tasted a little too much coconut for my liking.
yum! we just made this for dinner tonight and it was great served over brown rice. it was a bit too spicy for me so next time i'll add more o.j. and less hot sauce. great alternative to the high fat/high cal fried coconut shrimp!