Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons snipped candied orange peel
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Mix brown sugar, shortening, egg, milk, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spread in lightly greased baking pan (9x9x2 inch).
- Bake until light brown, 30-35 minutes.
- Cut into bars.
Mmmmm! Didn't have any candied orange peel, so added grated orange rind and then topped it with an orange glaze. Easy and delicious.