My grand-daughter sent me this recipe she says they are delicious. These cookies work very well using Splenda or Splenda for Baking,in place of the white sugar. (note, I have been trying different ways to cut down on sugar, using 2 tablespoons molasses in stead of the brown sugar works good and using the splenda for baking, I have also used all butter instead of shortening & butter with good results)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed or 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup white sugar (or Splenda or 1/2 cup Splenda for Baking)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins (optional) or 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In mixing bowl cream shortening,butter,and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla until blended.
- Set aside.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Withholding coconut until all other ingredients are blended.
- Add coconut.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until moist.
- Drop on greased cookie sheet about 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven immedietly- if overcooked cookies get HARD.