Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This scrumptious cake will have you reaching for more.
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 2⁄3 cup pecans
- 1 cup packed flaked coconut
- For the cake, pour the boiling water over the oats in a bowl and let stand for 20 minutes. Mix the flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add the oats mixture and mix well. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into a greased and floured 9 or 10 inch springform pan. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Cream the butter for the topping in a mixing bowl until light. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the cream, walnuts and coconut and mix well.
- Spread the topping over the cake and broil until just golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Place on a serving plate and remove the side of the pan.
This cake is like no other I have made. Step one doesn't bode well, grey porridge standing for 20 mins, the finished cake is a big browny grey coloured thing! Then the 'icing' is a mixutre I have never put together before and then your told to grill it??? What is going on?? Luckily I have learnt to trust Marie Alice's recipes and followed it to the 'T' and I was so pleased I did, the flavours worked so well together. I served it as part of my birthday treat in the staff room and it was a huge hit!! It's not overly sweet and with the oatmeal you some how think this cake is health food which allows you to have two pieces!
I can only review the cake portion, because I used a cream cheese frosting rather than your lovely-sounding Walnut Topping. Too many family members dislike coconut, although it sounds super to me. We loved the cake. It was easy to make and a big hit tonight.