Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
i made these for a book club and cut them into small squares as finger-treats during the discussion. they were buttery, delicious, and well loved! the coconut just adds flavor and richness, but doesn't do anything unpleasant to the texture of these goodies!!! ................ recipe from Gourmet (June 2008) - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Blondies-242607
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- Toast the walnuts or pecans. Allow to cool, then coarsely chop.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Melt butter over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove butter from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the brown sugar and vanilla into the melted butter.
- Add one egg and whisk until smooth. Add the other egg and whisk again until smooth.
- Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture.
- Stir in the pecans and 1 1/2 c coconut.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 c coconut.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into bars.