Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A “tropical” breakfast muffin. Unsweetened shredded coconut and coconut milk add the true flavor of coconut without masking it behind sugar. If you are looking for a very sweet muffin/cupcake, this probably isn't for you.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon packed dark brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3-3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Position the rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 400°.
- Coat muffin tin indentations and rims around them with cooking spray.
- Place ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes and brown sugar in a food processor fitted with a chopping blade; pulse until coarsely ground.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl and stir in 4 tablespoons melted butter; set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Stir in the remaining 1 ¼ cups coconut flakes until well coated; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs until lightly beaten, then whisk in the coconut milk, lemon zest, and remaining melted butter; stir in the prepared flour mixture with a wooden spoon until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin tins ¾ full; sprinkle about 1 ½ teaspoons of reserved coconut/brown sugar mixture on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are lightly golden brown with rounded tops.
- Set pan on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes; gently tip each muffin to the side to make sure it isn’t stuck; gently rock it back and forth to release it.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool for 5 minutes on wire rack before serving.
- *Chocolate Coconut Muffins: stir ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips into the flour mixture with the coconut flakes; proceed as directed.
- *Coconut Rum Muffins: stir 1 teaspoon rum extract in with the lemon zest; proceed as directed.
- *Sweet Tooth Coconut Muffins: reduce the unsweetened coconut flakes to ¼ cup; stir 1 ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut into the egg mixture before adding the dry ingredients; proceed as directed.