Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Living in the Far East you become acquainted with ingredients not usual to the United States. Coconut milk is a staple in many countries. Fresh coconut is soft, not dry, and refreshing to eat, but coconut flakes will have to do the job unless you have a fresh coconut.
- In medium saucepan heat 21/2 cups coconut milk.
- Add 3/4 white sugar, 3 beaten egg yolks, coconut extract, salt and 4 tablespoons cornstarch together. Add slowly to the hot.
- Whisk until mixture starts to thicken. Turn heat down, whisk until glossy and thick.
- Add coconut flakes and fold into mixture.
- Cool about 30 minutes.
- In saucepan add lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1/2 cup water, heat on low, stirring until glossy. Set aside.
- Stir coconut filling until fluffy, pour into pie pan. Spoon lemon glaze over the top. Chill until serving.
- Note: Sometimes I substitute powdered white sugar when making the lemon glaze. Also you can add a few drops of yellow food coloring.