Recipe by Oolala
Ripped from one of my cookbooks. The skin is left on the chicken for keeping the flesh moist during cooking -it says don't eat it. I will use low-sodium soy, low-sodium fish sauce, Splenda for the sugar, and low-fat coconut milk when I make this. I like to cook chicken on the bone for an hour at 350 so since I haven't made it yet, make sure juices run clear.
- 8 chicken pieces, with the bone-in and skin on
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 red chilies, finely sliced
- 2 lemongrass, stalks to garnish (optional)
for the marinade
- 2 stalks lemongrass, stalks chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 shallots
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Put the chicken pieces in shallow dish and pour the marinade over it and coat pieces.
- Marinade for 4 hours to overnight, covered in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and put the chicken on a rack with a tray under it.
- Brush the chicken with the marinade and bake about 30 minutes or until the chicken is done and golden brown. Turn the chicken halfway through cooking.
- Garnish with lime wedges, finely sliced red chilies and lemongrass stalks.
- Serve with rice.