Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a merger of several recipes I found while researching for a special Mothers day dinner. Coconut is Mom's favorite ice cream. This version is easy, not too sweet, smooth, creamy and quite tasty. It might be good with some coconut stirred in at the last. The cook time is freeze time and is variable depending on your machine. Prep time does not include chill time for the coconut milk.
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk, chilled
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon malibu coconut rum
- Shake can of coconut milk to mix well; pour into large chilled bowl or pitcher.
- Stir in cream, sugar and coconut rum until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers directions.
- Spoon into container,cover well and place in freezer to harden off.
- If desired, stir in flaked or toasted, flaked coconut before placing in freezer to harden.
Yum!! I substituted the heavy cream with half and half and used a mixture of about 2/3 rum 1/3 coconut extract in place of the malibu, as I didn't have any of that. Stirred in chopped up pieces of Mounds before putting it in the freezer to harden. This is creamy and delicious!!
Excellent recipe. I just purchased an ice cream freezer a few days ago and this was my first recipe. I actually used light coconut milk and half half to make the recipe a little lighter and it worked great. I also added some flaked coconut at the end for some extra flavor and texture. This is just like the ice cream at my favorite thai restaurant!
I love this recipe. I added some almond extract and pistachio nuts. Tasted better then the expensive stuff from the store. I also made the recipe just as is and love it. Thank you LoriLou for sharing this recipe.