Recipe by Enjolinfam
This recipe comes from Tanzania. A friend from Togo brought me this recipe he found on the internet, because he knew I was looking for African recipes to post for ZWT4. Cooking time doesn't include the time to cook the 1/2 cup rice. Thanks Sylvanus!
Top Review by Bugeah
This was excellent! Even the picky eaters loved it. I think next time I will add a little more beans, rice, and tomatoes as I like a lot of "stuff" in my soups. The flavor was fantastic though. I served it with fresh pumpernickel bread and it went really well together. This also helped to teach our kids about the foods that people in Africa eat.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 cup tomatoes, fresh, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, canned with liquid (or black-eyed peas)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onions until softened (maybe about 5 minutes).
- Add green peppers, curry powder, salt, pepper, butter or margarine, and tomato, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans with their liquid, the coconut milk, and water.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, Stir in the cooked rice and heat for about 2 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls. Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon of shredded coconut, and serve.