Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from Tanzania. A friend from Togo brought me this recipe he found on the internet, because he knew I was looking for African recipes to post for ZWT4. Cooking time doesn't include the time to cook the 1/2 cup rice. Thanks Sylvanus!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 cup tomatoes, fresh, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, canned with liquid (or black-eyed peas)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, shredded
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onions until softened (maybe about 5 minutes).
- Add green peppers, curry powder, salt, pepper, butter or margarine, and tomato, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans with their liquid, the coconut milk, and water.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, Stir in the cooked rice and heat for about 2 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls. Top each serving with 1 Tablespoon of shredded coconut, and serve.
This was excellent! Even the picky eaters loved it. I think next time I will add a little more beans, rice, and tomatoes as I like a lot of "stuff" in my soups. The flavor was fantastic though. I served it with fresh pumpernickel bread and it went really well together. This also helped to teach our kids about the foods that people in Africa eat.
Loved this recipe! Only had black beans on hand, so used them instead of kidney beans, and it was great. Didn't add green pepper at DH doesn't like it. Great recipe - thanks!
Excellent recipe! Even THE PICKY ONE loved it - she wants it for her birthday dinner! I wish I had doubled the recipe as everyone loved it & went for 3rds. The only thing I would do differently would be to saute the onions longer as they didn't soften up enough. Delicious, fast & easy! Made for the Vegan Swap 12/08.