Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are sweet and light and make a wonderful accompaniment to a cup of tea.
- 125 g butter
- 100 ml sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 15 ml oil
- 500 ml flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ml salt
- 4 -5 tablespoons apricot jam
- 3 extra large egg whites or 4 large egg whites
- 50 ml caster sugar
- 100 g coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg, then vanilla and oil.
- Sift in dry ingredients and mix until crumbly.
- Press into prepared cookie sheet.
- Heat jam in microwave for 1 minute.
- Beat well and leave to cool.
- Spread over raw base when cool.
- Whisk egg whites til very stiff.
- Add sugar and beat til glossy.
- Fold in coconut and spread over jam.
- Place in oven, immediately turn heat down to 325F and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 300F and bake for further 20 minutes.
- Switch off oven and leave for 5 minutes before removing.
- Slice whilst piping hot.