Recipe by Krsi Sue
From a Time-Life cookbook. These are very light and delicate. Nice to serve at Valentines, Easter, Bridal Shower or for a special tea. They can be stored in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 ounces coconut, shredded, 2 tbsp reserved
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in double boiler until soft peaks form.
- Remove from heat & continue to beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Lightly fold in all but 2 tbsp coconut.
- Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a #12 round tip.
- Pipe out straight lines about 4 inches onto parchment paper.
- Sprinkle remaining coconut onto the tips of the meringue tubes.
- Bake at 250 degrees about 1 hour. Meringue will be crisp, dry, and still white on the outside. The centers will be slightly moist.
- Carefully transfer the fingers to a wire rack to cool.