Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats http://bit.ly/eHmwaT Do not make the mistake of substituting cream of coconut for the coconut milk! Frozen mango can be substituted; thaw it completely first. Be sure the rice is completely cool before folding in the whipped cream; if not, the whipped cream will collapse back into liquid.
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil. Add rice and salt and simmer over medium heat until creamy, 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 1/2 c sugar and coconut milk and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and mixture is thick, 15 minutes more. Spread rice on a large baking dish or rimmed cookie sheet until completely cooled, 30-40 minutes.
- In a cold bowl, combine cream, sugar and vanilla. Whip until soft peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream and mango into rice pudding. Serve chilled.