Recipe by Mommy Diva
A fun Caribbean inspired recipe I found to post for ZWT3.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Great rice recipe! I wish my mango had been more flavourful - the ones you get here use to be quite watery, so mine didn't do the recipe justice. But it was delicious anyway, and I can imagine how fantastic it would be with a ripe, fragrant mango. I'll make this again :) Thanks for sharing!
Made for Cook-A-Thon for Mommy Diva February 2012.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large sweet onion (such as Vidalia or 1 red onion, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 minced garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 14 ounces light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 mango
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1 green onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, coarsely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sweet onion, ginger and garlic, if using.
- Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and stir until grains are coated with butter.
- Shake can of coconut milk; add to rice along with water, salt and curry, if using.
- Cover and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir and reduce heat to low; Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel mango and slice into thin bite-size strips or chop, then place in a bowl.
- Seed and chop pepper, slice green onions in half, lengthwise, then into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces; Add to mango and stir in lime juice.
- After rice has cooked 20 minutes, stir in mango mixture.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes to warm mango.
- Serve scattered with coriander, if you wish.
- A nice way to present this dish is to lightly pack rice mixture into a small rounded bowl or cup, then turn out onto a plate and top with coriander.
- Enjoy! ;).