Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Warm, creamy, comforting and healthy in my book, this is a riff on Paula Deen's Coconut Mango rice. It matches the health-benefits of coconut milk with those of brown rice. Sodium is reduced from her recipe as well. I served this with roasted, caramelized red onion, butternut squash, eggplant, beets and a simple roast chicken. Use a nicely ripened mango. *The nutrition values are not correct, 2 servings of this rice should yield approx 340 calories a piece, you can reduce the calories further by using light coconut milk.
- Heat coconut milk, water and salt to boiling in a medium pan.
- Add rice and mango and return to boil.
- Cover and lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir, replace cover and place pot off-heat for 5-8 minutes to steam.
- Rice is ready when the liquid is mostly absorbed and the grains have lost their bite.