Recipe by Girl from India
Yummy Yummy treat for coconut and chocolate fans taken from the Family Circle cookery encyclopedia. I like the addition of the rind in this one.
Top Review by lobquin
This were so good. I've never really liked macaroons; but I had some egg whites I had to use up. The lemon zest in these make them so delicious. I will be making these often from now on. I also drizzled chocolate instead of dipping. I put the chocolate into a ziptop bag and let it sit in some hot water for a bit. Dry the bag, snip a corner and there you go. Oh, and a little note for others: 160C is about 325F. Try these you won't be disappointed! Thank you!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups caster sugar (as fine as you can get)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 125 g dark semi-sweet chocolate, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160°C Line a big tray with baking paper.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and beat with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar slowly and continue beating till mixture appears thick and shiny and the sugar is completely dissovled.
- Add the grated rind and beat till it is just mixed.
- Add the coconut and the cornflour and stir with a metal spoon till they are just incorporated well into the mixture.
- (DO not stir too much) Drop one heaped teaspoonful of the mixture onto the tray about 3-4 cms from each other and bake on the top shelf for 15-20 minutes or till the top is light golden in colour.
- Cool macaroons and then dip half into the melted chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to set before serving.