Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummy Yummy treat for coconut and chocolate fans taken from the Family Circle cookery encyclopedia. I like the addition of the rind in this one.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups caster sugar (as fine as you can get)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 125 g dark semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 160°C Line a big tray with baking paper.
- Place egg whites in a bowl and beat with an electric beater until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar slowly and continue beating till mixture appears thick and shiny and the sugar is completely dissovled.
- Add the grated rind and beat till it is just mixed.
- Add the coconut and the cornflour and stir with a metal spoon till they are just incorporated well into the mixture.
- (DO not stir too much) Drop one heaped teaspoonful of the mixture onto the tray about 3-4 cms from each other and bake on the top shelf for 15-20 minutes or till the top is light golden in colour.
- Cool macaroons and then dip half into the melted chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to set before serving.
This were so good. I've never really liked macaroons; but I had some egg whites I had to use up. The lemon zest in these make them so delicious. I will be making these often from now on. I also drizzled chocolate instead of dipping. I put the chocolate into a ziptop bag and let it sit in some hot water for a bit. Dry the bag, snip a corner and there you go. Oh, and a little note for others: 160C is about 325F. Try these you won't be disappointed! Thank you!
This is the ultimate macaroon. The lemon zest gives it the finishing touch. This was easy to make and very well received. They freeze very well. Yeild was 70 cookies. Super recipe! Trudy :-)
These macaroons were delish!!! I followed the measurements in the recipe. I made 3 batches in 2 days for friends who really enjoyed my first batch! Prior to this, I've never had them myself and was a little skeptical about trying them. But I gave it a try anyway as I had lots of leftover egg whites from a cake I had baked and about-to-expire coconut flakes from Christmas baking! I didn't like the look of the chocolate-dipped macaroons, so I drizzled melted chocolate over each of the macaroons. That made them look quite fancy together with the bits of golden brown coconut flakes! By the way, they had a such a wonderful aroma as they came out of the oven that I couldn't resist taste-testing a few! =)