Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Mix coconut, sugar and egg whites together in a saucepan.
- Heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture is warm but NOT hot.
- Remove from heat and leave until cold.
- Divide mixture into 18 mounds, setting them down on greased, floured baking trays.
- Top each mound with a half glace cherry.
- Bake 20 minutes at 350F until pale golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
I can see why this is a favorite, excellent recipe. I cut the sugar back to 8 ozs and used unsweetened, medium coconut. Don't do what I did! I used lightly greased floured Foil on the cookie sheet and Uh Oh It was a little tought getting them off. On a solid cookie sheet it would have been no problem, Thanks Eve
Excellent recipe, Eve! I whipped these up so quick, and they were wonderful. I love the soft, chewy texture. Thanks for posting this one!!
for the flavor i would probably give it a 5-star rating but for texture a 1-star. but i must have done something wrong - these didn't work at all for me. they didn't thicken and there were no mounds, just cookies as thin as paper. so i poured the remaining mixture into a pie plate and baked it. they were very chewy and had a great flavor. i'm not sure what i did do wrong - but unless i figure it out i probably would not make them again.