Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm not sure whether this is "real" Biscuit Tortoni, but if you like coconut macaroons (and sinfully rich desserts), you should love this. When we were kids, my sister and I got to choose what my mother cooked for dinner on our birthdays. Actually, of course, she could have just cooked the dinners without asking, because we always asked for our favorite foods. So on my birthday, dessert was always Coconut Macaroon Ice Cream. BTW the prep time figure obviously doesn't count the overnight freezing time.
- Boil sugar and water together to form a syrup which spins a thread when dropped from the tip of a spoon.
- Beat egg yolks well; add syrup slowly, beating eggs during addition.
- Cook for 5 min.
- in double boiler.
- Remove from heat and beat well.
- Add the 1 c.
- macaroons and cool.
- Whip the cream and fold into cooled egg mixture.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Spread in a shallow container and top with the powdered macaroons to give a brown crust appearance.
- Freeze overnight.
- Note: This cannot be made in any kind of ice cream machine; the texture will be ruined.