Recipe by JamesDean'sGirl
The original recipe had a footnote stating that cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, or almonds could be used in place of the macadamia nuts; or that the nuts could be omitted and semisweet, milk, or white chocolate chips, or peanut butter, or butterscotch chips could be added. SIGH...what a delicious mouthful!
- 1⁄3 cup firm butter (5 1/3 Tbsp.)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted if desired
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half, about
- half-and-half, for brushing
- shredded coconut, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Cut the butter into the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the macadamia nuts and coconut.
- Stir in the egg and just enough half-and-half (1/2 cup) so that the dough leaves the sides of the bowl and forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat.
- Knead lightly 10 times.
- Roll or pat the dough into an 8" circle on an ungreased cookie sheet; cut into 8 wedges but do not separate them from each other.
- Brush with half-and-half; sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet; carefully separate wedges.
- Serve warm.