Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was found on a web site from our local market. I haven't made it yet, but think this will be one of those dessert things my Sweet EddieBear can eat lots of.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 26 ounces light coconut milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest, fresh
- coconut, toasted for garnish
- In a medium bowl, soak rice for 20 minutes in enough water to cover. Drain and place in a heavy 3 quart saucepan. Add coconut milk, whole milk and sugar and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. (Mixture will thicken as it cools).
- Remove from heat and add lime zest. Serve at Room temperature or chilled, garnished with toasted coconut.
This was a very good recipe for using up the coconut milk I had left over from another recipe. I did cut the serving size to two servings and it still turned out just fine, not all recipes will turn out when adjusting to a much smaller size. This had real depth of flavor and was so good on a hot summer day. I rarely make desserts; my husband was delighted with this treat. Thanks Charbear01.
Very very tasty! I was skeptical that this would thicken, but sure enough, it made a lovely thick rice pudding. I used lemon zest in place of the lime zest as that is what I had on hand and it tasted just as good - it really does add that extra zip, so don't omit the zest! Next time, I might add a little less sugar and see how it tastes - maybe 3/4 cup sugar instead. I will definitely make this coconut lime rice pudding again! Bravo!
I think this recipe may have originaly come from Bon Appetite. This is one of my absolute favorites. It's sooo YUMMY. Not too sweet and almost refreshing. This recipe even inspired me to use the coconut milk and lime zest in an ice cream base and it made the most fantastic ice cream too. Definatetly a keeper!