Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love rice, and had something in mind, but couldn't find a recipe for it. I made this one up tonight, and we thought it turned out pretty good. I am publishing it here so I don't forget how I did it!
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper
- Rinse rice well, and let drain in colander. Set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in 2 quart saucepan on medium heat. Add onions and cook until brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Add rice to remaining butter and oil, and cook until light brown, stirring frequently. Watch closely so it doesn't burn.
- Add coconut milk, broth, onion, cinnamon, sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook approximately 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- You may find the rice "sticking" to the pan, but scrape it up and stir it inches.
- When rice is done, add the lime juice, turn off heat, and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir and serve.