Recipe by ellie_
A different rice that's delicious with island-type kabobs or other Carribean dishes. I think this will also be good with some pineapple tidbits and/or cherries added. Recipe source: Turtle Bay Cookbook
Top Review by megnicu
My husband and children loved this!!! Have made other ones and never really went over as well! I had a can of fat-free coconut milk on hand so I used that and just added enough water to make the needed two cups. I also added a little more lime juice and a little zest. Will keep this one on hand.
- 709.77 ml water
- 473.18 ml sweetened flaked coconut
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml basmati rice
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and coconut in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place a strainer over a small bowl and strain coconut mixture into bowl; reserving liquid, discarding coconut solids. You should have 2 cups coconut milk. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat oil and then add rice, stirring over medium heat until rice changes color (7-10 minutes).
- Stir in the reserved coconut milk and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.