A different rice that's delicious with island-type kabobs or other Carribean dishes. I think this will also be good with some pineapple tidbits and/or cherries added. Recipe source: Turtle Bay Cookbook
- Combine water and coconut in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place a strainer over a small bowl and strain coconut mixture into bowl; reserving liquid, discarding coconut solids. You should have 2 cups coconut milk. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat oil and then add rice, stirring over medium heat until rice changes color (7-10 minutes).
- Stir in the reserved coconut milk and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.