A different rice that's delicious with island-type kabobs or other Carribean dishes. I think this will also be good with some pineapple tidbits and/or cherries added. Recipe source: Turtle Bay Cookbook
- Combine water and coconut in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Place a strainer over a small bowl and strain coconut mixture into bowl; reserving liquid, discarding coconut solids. You should have 2 cups coconut milk. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat oil and then add rice, stirring over medium heat until rice changes color (7-10 minutes).
- Stir in the reserved coconut milk and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
My husband and children loved this!!! Have made other ones and never really went over as well! I had a can of fat-free coconut milk on hand so I used that and just added enough water to make the needed two cups. I also added a little more lime juice and a little zest. Will keep this one on hand.
What a great recipe! It had a wonderful, light flavor that went perfectly with our supper of jerk chicken, mango salsa and black beans. Who knew making coconut milk was so easy? I made a half recipe and it did make about 3-4 servings. It cooked up perfectly--nice and fluffy. So glad I chose this recipe to make! I will definitely make again. Edited to add: Made again and, being lazy, used canned coconut milk. I definitely DO NOT recommend this. From now on, I will always make my own milk as it made the dish sweeter. Also, this last time was very salty, so note to self, use less salt!
Great recipe, was a big hit. Thanks for sharing, I will make this again.