Recipe by Normaone
Here's another recipe that takes me back to Bequia (although the recipe originally came from Bon Appetit!). Freezer time for the crust is not included nor is the chilling time for the pie.
Top Review by Bobbie
This is a recipe I have had in my collection for quite sometime. I too found it in Bon Appetit (and we all know they have outstanding recipes). It's a little expensive to make, so I only make it for very special occasions -- and it's yet to let me down. I've been asked to share the recipe every time I serve it. For garnish, I usually slice some lime slices and dip the edges in powdered sugar and place one on each serving. This is a very wonderful dessert.
For the Crust
- 5 ounces vanilla wafers
- 2 ounces dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter
For the Filling
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut (Coco Lopez)
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
For the Topping
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- lime zest
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the vanilla wafers and macadamia nuts.
- Process until finely ground.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in the coconut.
- Add butter and stir until well blended.
- Press onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch glass pie pan.
- Cover and freeze for at least 30 minutes (can be done days in advance).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool thoroughly.
- For the Filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the first four ingredients.
- Pour 3 tablespoons cold water into a small metal bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over.
- Let stand 10 minutes, or until the gelatin softens.
- Set bowl over a small saucepan of barely simmering water and whisk until gelatin dissolves completely, about 1 minute.
- Whisk into the coconut mixture and pour into the crust.
- Chill 4 hours or until set.
- Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- For the topping: Combine the cream and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar in a medium bowl.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe onto cut serving pieces.
- Garnish with lime zest.