These wonderfully moist cakes are loaded with iime flavor. They would make a lovely addition to an Asian menu, a tropical grilled meal or a brunch spread.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed 5 to 6 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, 1 tablespoon lime peel and 1 teaspoon lime juice.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- At low speed, beat sour cream into butter mixture alternately with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat all frosting ingredients at medium speed until stiff-peaks form.
- Spread each cupcake with frosting; sprinkle with coconut.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
These are excellent. I was just about to share this same recipe, but found this version already posted so I thought I would offer my comments. I made these for my daughter's birthday one year and they were a big hit with the kids, now they are a favorite. These are full of lime flavor and very sweet. I garnish each with a slice of candy made to look like limes. We call these "You put the lime in the coconut" Cupcakes.
I loved these cupcakes! In all honesty, I didn't care for the frosting that much because I don't really like whipped cream frostings. But that's just my personal preference, and everybody else thought the cupcake & frosting were both amazing, so I'll stick with 5 stars for the whole thing. :)