Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This is a delicious asian inspired beef stew - rave reviews everytime I make it.
Make and share this Coconut-Lime Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (I used olive)
- 1 medium onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, these are the small red ones (or use 2 scotch bonnet chili peppers chopped finely)
- 3 lbs beef, chunks (I used inside round and marinated them overnight in coconut milk. They were melt in your mouth tende)
- 14 ounces coconut milk (you will need two if you are going to use as a marinade)
- 2 inches strips lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts
- Heat oven to 325. in large Dutch oven heat 1 tsp of oil and brown onions (7-8 minutes). Add garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, tumeric, and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute Transfer into a plate.
- Increase heat to high, add oil then add and brown the beef. Once browned add onion mixture back, stir in coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, bay leaves and baby carrots. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover and place in the oven for 2-3 hours. Serve garnished with peanuts.
- I served it with some brown rice….it was excellent. A nice change from regular stew.