Recipe by Anu
This is a one really easy and incredibly tasty chutney. This is my mom's recipe and no one makes it better, honest :) Store the chutney in the refrigerator (for not longer than a day; after that it usually goes bad), unless using it immediately, since the coconut makes it very perishable.
- 1⁄2 large coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoons bengal gram dal (split dried chickpeas) or 2 tablespoons channa dal (dried chickpeas)
- 3 green chilies
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon split Urad Dal (split black gram)
- 3 curry leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small frying pan, take 1/2 tsp oil and fry the chickpeas till it turns slightly brown.
- After it cools, grind it with grated coconut, green chillies and salt in a mixer.
- Slowly add water while grinding.
- The consistency of the mixture should be akin to that of ketchup.
- Now, in the same frying pan, heat the remaining 1/2 tsp of oil, add the mustard seeds, split black gram and curry leaves.
- When the mustard sputters, add this to the ground coconut mixture.
- Serve this chutney with idlis or dosas.