Recipe by Kay D.
Recipe from Food Network. BE WARNED!!!!! This is a very spicy dish. You may want to adjust the seasonings accordingly. I repeat, this is a very spicy dish. That said, everyone at my house loved it. The chicken (I used thighs) came about unbelievably melt in your mouth tender. Serve on a bed of rice noodles. Yummy!
Top Tweak by DawneSN
We enjoy spicy food, but, following the directions yet omitting the chilis, the dish was way too spicy and salty. I used a total of three 15 oz. cans of light coconut milk and served it over unseasoned rice. It was then delicious.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs or 3 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh hot red chili pepper
- 4 stalks lemongrass, green tops removed then pale ends,finely chopped or 2 tablespoons dried lemongrass, soaked in water for 20 minutes,water discarded
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce or 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces unsweetened coconut milk (not coconut water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add half the onion and all of the garlic and cook, until they both begin to soften, about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, ginger and chicken.
- Cook until the sugar melts and chicken begins to brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the onion, chile peppers, lemon grass, curry powder, soy sauce, fish sauce (or Worcestershire sauce), and the coconut milk.
- Stir, lower heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and simmer until the sauce thickens and the chicken is tender, about 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm over a bed of rice noodles, or whatever plain starch you prefer.